Thursday, November 28, 2013

100 Gifts





I have been trying to post each day with things that I am thankful for. November is generally the time that we step back and recount all of the blessings that we have been given. But what about trying to live each day Thankful for everything that we have been given? What if we woke up every day and we were thankful for even the littlest things? There are so many things that I am thankful for this year and I know that I wrote up A post like this a few weeks ago but I wanted to write another one because it was such a challenging but rewarding exercise for me. So without further ado, here are some things that are just beginning to scratch the surface of everything that I am thankful for in this beautiful life.

1. I am alive. God woke me up this morning to have another day to serve him. What more could I ask for?

2. That we have the ability to choose Thankfulness over complaining. This idea has been hard for me as I am a complainer, but God has really been teaching me to find even the littlest things to be thankful for.

3. The courage to do the 30 days of Thankfulness challenge. Granted I did not keep up with the challenge all the way through, it was awesome to write about and share the things that I did share. I would like to recap some of those posts because some of them are things that I am super thankful for.

4. God has been teaching me about REST. 

5. The fact that my Identity is in Christ and Christ alone. My Identity is NOT in the clothes I wear, or how I talk or what grades I make. But In Christ Alone!

6. Nature is so beautiful and everything that God created from mountains to valleys is in his perfect design. The beauty of Nature

7. The ability that God gives us different gifts to share with others. I believe that God has given us each different and unique gifts to use to bless others. I believe that God has given me the gift of encouragement. I love to encourage people and this blog has been a beautiful platform to share one of my Spiritual gifts. 

8. The willingness and courage to share my testimony: I should be dead...

9. y'all. my parents are amazing. They are so loving and kind and I am SO blessed to have two parents who love the Lord and love each other even after over 20 years of marriage. My parents are some of the most Godly and amazing people that I have ever come in contact with.

10. I am thankful that God has provided me with two Amazing Jobs this semester

11. My professors. The woman in this post is one of the most loving, caring, selfless, beautiful people that I have ever met. She cares so much about her students and she really views her job as a ministry and not a job. She loves to pour into students. She has blessed my life and shaped me in ways that I don't have words to say. I will always remember her and without her, I really would not be who I am today. She has been such a blessing and encouragement to me.

12.  Man, I don't know where I would be without God. seriously. I would be dead. I almost died when I was a week old. SO thankful for an AMAZING, awesome, fantastic God who died on the cross for my sins so that I could be in communication with him. I am still in awe of this on a daily basis.

13. My first mission trip to New York last spring, changed my life. So thankful for the trip and the opportunity.

14. Dear BarlowGirl you made an impact on my life that I will never forget. Your music and your ministry changed my life and I am so glad that God allowed my brother to give me a cd for Christmas in 2005.

15. I thankful for Being honest even when its really, really hard. 

16. Not dating until I feel God is calling me to date. I am thankful that he has protected my heart and my mind in this process.

17. I LOVE reading. Thankful for books and so many different authors and topics that we are able to read about. Books I read this past summer

18. speaking of reading, if you haven't checked out, 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp what are you waiting for? This book is challenging me and stretching me and also encouraging me all at the same time.

19. I have "met" so many amazing people over the years. Thank you for reading and for supporting me and walking alongside me. I am forever thankful for the ways that you are touching my life as I share my words and what the Lord has put on my heart to share. If you are new here, Nice to meet you!

20. I have alway loved writing poetry. I have shared my poetry here many times on the blog but I wrote a poem in September of 2012 that received such an amazing response that I have kept sharing it on the blog as well as I read it last fall when I won an award. The poem is called A Voice for the Voiceless and is really my battle cry to stand up for those in society who have a disability and those who don't have a voice. There needs to be some serious changes in this world in regards to how people with disabilities are treated and I believe that God has me here on this Earth to make those changes.

21. I have never felt what its like to starve. I am thankful that I have food on my table each and every day.

22. nail polish. I love painting my nails

23. a bed to sleep in at night and one to sit on as I type this post

24. clothes to wear. I probably have about 3 months worth of clothing

25. shoes. I LOVE shoes

26. toothbrushes. so that my breath doesn't stink in the mornings

27. hair brushes to comb my hair

28. showers. oh how I LOVE showers. I think I ran up our water bill yesterday with my 45 minute shower. opps.

29. dental care. yes I hate having my teeth worked on but thankful that I was able to have dental care when I was younger so that my teeth look decent now.

30. this computer to type this blog post on and all of my blog posts on. I am thankful for this blog and the platform that God has given me to share with all of you.

31. Early mornings with God are the best y'all. I have loved waking up early and praying and spending time in God's word.

32. amazing churches to attend here when I am home and when I am at school.

33. An amazing Christian school to attend. I have LOVED it. Yes there have been hard moments but the community there is nothing like I have ever experienced in my life. it's so beautiful and its a beautiful picture of the body of Christ.

34. My RA, Sarah. That girl is amazing and I am so thankful that she is in my life.

35. Rachel, you are blessing. I love your fun spirit and your zeal for the Lord. Thank you for being a constant encouragement to me. You always make me smile. You are beautiful on the inside and the outside.

36. Dominique, You are so awesome and thankful for all of our awesome conversations. You are such an encouragement to me and thank you for always listening.

37. Tatiana, Thank you for being you and for supporting and loving me.

38. Cliff, Thank you for listening to me. You are a blessing.

39. Joi, Thank you for your friendship. you are beautiful and I am so blessed to call you my friend.

40. Bridget. You are awesome. I am soo glad that God allowed us to reconnect. Thank you for trusting me and for allowing me into your life. I have so enjoyed our friendship.

41. Amanda, You are the best twin ever. Thank you for teaching me about thankfulness and its amazing to watch you go through so much and not complain. Thank you for being such an encouragement to me.

42. Ryan, You are an awesome brother. Thank you so much for being awesome and for being a blessing in my life.

43. Hunt, you are the best four-legged brother ever. You bring so much joy to our family. Thank you for being a part of our life for the past 10 years.

44. My English professor, Thank you for teaching me about writing and for pushing me. I am a better writer because of you.

45. Laura, Thank you for helping me learn the importance of stretching my body and taking care of it. Thank you for all of the fun stories that you shared with me over the years during our therapy sessions.

46. Spike and Butterscotch, you two were the best hamsters ever. I hope that you are enjoying hamster heaven. Thank you for teaching me to love and care for animals. You were both the bomb.com

47. Brandi, Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Without you, I would have not gotten through high school. You made a lasting impact on my life which I am forever grateful for. You are such a blessing and our conversations are the best.

48. Joni, You taught me about courage and keeping on even when its tough. Thank you for being an example for so many. You are my hero and I am so blessed to call you a friend and sister in Christ. Thank you for starting Joni and friends and for impacting the lives of So many people around the world with your amazing ministry.

49. Caylee, Thank you for being there for me through out high school. you are a blessing and your smile lights up a room.

50. Dear future husband, wherever you are, whoever you are. I am thankful for you. I pray for you often. I pray that God would help you stay pure and that we would honor God with our relationship. Thank you for waiting for me as I am waiting for you.

51. Thankful for a house with four walls and a place to call home.

52. eyes to see

53. ears to hear and noses to smell with

54. legs to walk and a mouth to talk with

55. hands to move and type with

56. a brain to process and learn things

57. hair to keep my head warm.

58. fingers to grasp and toes to feel with

59. shoulders to move and elbows to poke

60. A heart that beats every day because of God's faithfulness

61. A body that I love and that I am happy with because God created me in his image and I am not a mistake. He knitted me together in my mother's womb and he saw my unformed body and loved me. He has given me the ability to love myself and call myself beautiful. Beautiful in my eyes and beautiful in the eyes of God.

62. Heaven. I am going to have a new body and I am going to be able to hang out with Jesus for FOREVER. Sign me up!

63. smiling. I love smiling and think there needs to be more of it in this world.

64. Babies. Y'all. I cannot wait to have kids. I am SO excited to be a mom. But for now I will just babysit others kids and enjoy this season of being kid-free.

65. newborn babies are the best and they smell amazing

66. The whole process of having a baby. wow. God is awesome. and it really is a miracle of life.

67. baby clothes = the BEST.

68. watching kids grow up, so awesome and yet so sad to think that they aren't little anymore.

69. sleeping babies = PRECIOUS.

70. New baby cousins that I get to meet at Christmas time!

71. Promises like this: "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

72. Other verses that I am So thankful, for the truths of God that I often need to be reminded of daily:

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.  Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you

78.2 Corinthians 4:16-18  So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.


79. For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well. (Psalm 139:13-14)

80. " Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues,they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.  For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

81. phones and the internet to keep in contact with those that we love. 

82. music. Music is awesome and it has impacted my life in such amazing ways.

83. worship music is awesome and I LOVE going to church and worshipping.

84. Football is awesome.

85. Fun socks just make me smile.

86. Mentors and people who pour into your life are true Blessings from the Lord. I SO thankful for my mentor Heather and all the joy and love that She has brought to my life this semester.

87. Being part of Gospel Choir this semester and I have LOVED every second of it.

88. the world. Traveling and seeing the world is amazing and I only pray that God allows me to see different parts of the world some day. 

89. Adoption. I want to adopt kids some day and make them part of my life. Just in the same way that when we accept Jesus into our lives, he adopts us into his forever family. 

90. Art. I am not the best artist but I do enjoy doodling. 

91. the dirty jobs. The trash man, the mailman and the janitor. Thank you for all your hard work that often goes unnoticed. you are loved and appreciated even if we don't say thank you enough. 

92. Love. unconditional love from God. Thank you for loving me God and for dying for my sins so that I can be free and live my life for you. 

93. Blood that was spilled for my life and my sin.

94. Breathing in and out ever day and each breathe is your God. Thank you. 

95. words. Thank you for allowing us to have words to use to encourage others and build others up.

96. netflix. Thankful that you are here to entertain me 

97. Naps are the best. 

98. Hope in the unseen of our human eyes. God has it under control and he already knows our life. Wait for him to reveal things in HIS timing. Not ours. 

99. Faith. Faith like a mustard seed. Faith like a child. Have faith that everything will work out. You will be okay and I am thankful that even in the really rough times, God has been there. Sometimes he has been dragging me through the storms of life but has never left my side and he never will. Ever. 

100. I am thankful for this life. The ability to touch others with my words for the kingdom of God. I am thankful for all of the things that God has given me and I could go on and on. But 100 just seems like a good round number to stop at. I am thankful for YOU. you are loved, you are beautiful and you are worth it. 

Thank you for reading this blog and for your love and encouragement. 

To God be the Glory.





2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I enjoyed your list! Love your thankful heart and how you honor Him, especially in your choice to wait to date. Wise, girl - so wise. And YAY for adoption! My hubby and I adopted our baby girl this past summer. Adoption has changed our lives. We have an open relationship with Maia's birth family and couldn't love it more. Excited for you that you feel adoption will be part of your future. Stopped by via Twitter tonight. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana,
      Thank you so much for your comment! I love hearing that you adopted a baby girl and I will have to come check out your blog and see how she is doing :) and yes the no dating thing has been hard but its worth it and the Lord is faithful. I hope that you and your family are having a wonderful Christmas season and that you are enjoying reflecting on the birth of our savior! and Thank you so much for stopping by and reading. It means a lot! Blessings!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)