I Watched an amazing documentary tonight called Loving Lampposts. The documentary explores the world of life with autism. I really enjoyed it and found out things about autism that I did not know. People with autism and all other disabilities deserve to be loved and accepted just like you and I. This documentary gave me a new respect and appreciation for those who have autism. It was really awesome to hear the stories of these families and people with autism who are successful and living life. I have always said that one's disability or a big part of their identity is just that, part of their identity. My CP is just a part of me and it doesn't define me and it hasn't stopped me from reaching my dreams and goals and doing what God has called me to do which for right now is being a full time student.
In the same way, people with autism have hopes, dreams and goals and our society needs to stop putting labels on them and trying to "cure" their disability. There is no cure and God created autism for a reason and he allowed certain people to have autism and its a gift and a blessing, not a curse or a terrible thing.
I would really encourage you to take some time and watch this amazing and informative documentary. Thankful to my professor for showing a section of this movie in class this past week.
Loving Lampposts

I know I'm a little late to the party here but I want to thank you for this post. My husband in 68 days is on the autism spectrum (Asperger's) and I hate that it's even called a syndrome, like he has a disease that needs to be treated. Is it a challenge some days? Sure, but he's also the most beautiful and complex creature, and I wouldn't "cure" him if I could.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment. I am so glad that you were encouraged by this post and I would really encourage you to watch the documentary if you have a free moment. Thank you for sharing part of your story with me. I pray that you and your husband would be able to live a happy and healthy life together. Many blessings!
Delete