Monday, October 1, 2012

The Value of Kindness

The above title is something that is so easy to do and yet it can be so easily forgotten. Today in my philosophy class our professor quoted something that really stuck with me.

"Be Kind, Everyone you meet is fighting a battle of some kind."-- Philo of Alexandria

You never know someone's story until you really sit down with them. We tend to judge people based on their appearance or how they talk or dress. But we need to sit down and peel back the layers of a person in order to find out who they truly are.

I have a disability and some people right me off because of that. Or they write me off because I am a Christian and they don't want to have anything to do with religion. Some people write me off because I don't act like they do or because I have certain morals or values that I would like to keep. But for those who have taken the time to get to know me, they find out that I am a great person with a lot to offer. I am kind and encouraging and I love to serve others and make them smile.

Other people may look weird or act different from you but that doesn't give you a write to just not get to know them. God created everyone for a purpose and he loves us all with so much intimate love that its amazing. God created the homeless person that you see on the corner. He created the prostitute that you see on the street selling her body for money. He created the dad who has a drug addiction. He created the baby with the heart defect. He created you. YOU have a purpose in this life. You are not a mistake.

This life is too short to waste it in being mean to people. Take time to look beyond yourself. We often times get so wrapped up in this fast-paced world and everything that we have to do. I have been guilty of this. But God has stopped and told me to slow down. When I slow down and trust him, he shows me people that I can reach out to. I am not saying that you have to go reach out to poor although that would be awesome.

But I challenge you today and every day, to look beyond yourself and reach out to someone be it a stranger or friend. It can be as simple as a smile as you pass each other or taking time to stop and have lunch with a person.

The little things in life that we do can make a huge difference in the life of another.


Luke 6:27-31 - Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also.  If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.  Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.  Do to others as you would have them do to you.


4 comments:

  1. love this jessica. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problem. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  2. Wow beautiful post and so something we seem to forget so quickly! Love the last passage. I'm going to tweet this post. Everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)