Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Gift of Giving

I LOVE giving gifts. They are SO much fun to give. I love going to the store and picking out the gifts and taking a time to write a hand-written or note to the person that I am giving the gift to. I love seeing the person open the gift and seeing the expression on their face. I prefer to give gifts on Christmas rather than receive them. I have a hard time accepting gifts from others. Which is something I have struggled with for years. I came across a song from the band I mentioned last week, Jenny and Tyler. The song is called "Love through me." The lyrics are as follows.


Love Through Me - Jenny & Tyler - This Isn't a Dream - Copyright 2009 One Eyed Cat Music (BMI)
Music and Lyrics by Tyler Somers (BMI) and Jennifer Somers (BMI)

There is plenty on this earth to suit our needs
But there will never ever be enough to satisfy our greed
Weigh this heavy on me now until can hardly breathe
Love through me

I've never gone a day without a meal because I couldn't afford it
Stood on a corner and begged for pennies, holding out a sign
Call me blessed, but it sure does feel pathetic,
Children ‘round the world are hungry now

So would I give up:
Pillows and cable, clothing and candy,
If a boy could rest his tired bones?
Would I lay down:
Making all this money, just to have my milk and honey,
If my fellow man could get the chance to watch his children grow?

There is plenty on this earth to suit our needs
But there will never ever be enough to satisfy our greed
Weigh this heavy on me now until I can hardly breathe
Love through me

I feel in the right, self-justified giving coins away
But what about the time I consider mine not tomorrow but right now today?
Clothe the naked; feed the hungry; welcome strangers
Come on, get up and open your eyes

So would I give up:
Pillows and cable, clothing and candy,
If a girl could have some more to eat?
Would I lay down:
Making all this money, just to have my milk and honey,
If my fellow man could get the chance to hear about the King?

There is plenty on this earth to suit our needs
But there will never ever be enough to satisfy our greed
Weigh this heavy on me now until I can hardly breathe
Love through me

Help us see, our eyes are weak, help us please
Love through me


This song was so convicting to me. I realized that I have so much and I sometimes have a hard time giving money to the poor. 

So this Christmas season, I have decided that I am going to support Operation Christmas Child (OOC). The main goal of the organization is to have people pack boxes full of toys and school supplies and ship the boxes all over the world so that many, many little children can have a Christmas present to open this year. Presents are great but this organization also provides the Gospel to these children and allows them to have an opportunity to become a Christian.  
The supplies are packed in a shoe box or plastic bin and there is a $7 shipping and handling fee. You can track your box online and see what country the box went to. 

It is a simple gift that takes probably about $20-30 to bless a child this Christmas with presents and with the Love of Jesus Christ.

I can't wait to see how the Lord provides for OCC this year. Last year 80 million boxes were given to children. 

Won't you join me in making a difference in the Life of a Child this Christmas season?

And if you are not sure about weather you should give this year watch these video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHu5gsZwtgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOgTMIDpDU

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. That's great that you are supporting OCC this year! I used to do it as a kid, my mom would take us to the store and we would fill up little boxes. It's a great ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to do this, but I kept missing the days to donate. I hope to be able to do it this year, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)