![]() |
| Me and Joni after the open House |
| The Amazing group of Interns! |
"You make me brave
You make me brave
You called me beyond the shore
Into the waves
You make me brave
You make me brave
No fear can hinder now
The love that made a way"
The following lyrics were from a song that I discovered while I was in California and the more I listened to the song, the more true the lyrics rang in my life.
During my time in California I experienced so many amazing things and I tried so many new things that I never would have if I was at home. I tried new food which for me is a big deal since I am generally not a very adventurous eater.
I also was able to meet many new friends through the internship and at the Joni and Friends office. The group that God put together was so perfect and I am so blessed and honored that I got to meet each and every single one of them. We were at a restaurant one of the first nights and the waiter asked us how long we had known each other and we replied that we had only known each other a few days. The bond that we had was amazing and I miss every one a lot and I cannot wait for our paths to cross again.
The internship program that I went through is super unique because not only do they give you tools to use while you are there but they give you tools to use when you are back home. Through the teaching of the Beyond Suffering Course and the Lead Like Jesus course I was even more inspired and motivated to help and make a difference in the lives of those with disabilities.
I also really enjoyed the Friendship clubs that we got to be apart of. The groups are like a youth group for adults with disabilities. The group started with singing some songs and then we put on a skit and then there was table time where people could talk and do a craft that had been related to the Bible story. I posted the following on my Facebook page after going to two different Friendship Clubs:
"Monday and Tuesday evening, the interns had the opportunity to attend a program called Friendship club. A place where adults with disabilities can come and hang out and hear and experience in a tangible way the love of Jesus. I went along as "just the photographer" and I was just going to stay in the background. But not only did I capture some amazing shots but my heart was blessed by the entire experience. My heart has been blessed with this whole experience even in the moments of exhaustion and tiredness. The Lord has blessed me with an amazing group to do life with. I am so humbled and honored that I have had this experience and I cannot wait to see what is ahead."
I was brave so many times during this internship: meeting new people, trying new foods, stepping out during new experiences like friendship club and especially going on the radio which you can read about HERE. But my bravery did not come from my strength alone but from the holy spirit. I am so blessed and honored that God gave me this amazing experience and I cannot wait to see how God is going to use everything that I learned in the future.
Here are a few more pictures from my amazing experience:
![]() |
| Hanging out on the balcony with a few of the interns |
| The theme verse of the internship |
![]() |
| Group photo op with Joni after she spoke |




Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience Jessica! Loved following along on fb, and can't wait to see how God uses you now that He has filled you up! Your excitement, transformation, and inspiration are catching! Love, Susie Watts
ReplyDeleteI’m a friend of your dad’s and it was great to read about your summer. You are a beacon on our Father’s light. Blessings, Lyla
ReplyDelete