Monday, October 28, 2013

Are Christians allowed to listen to secular music?


Source

I think the answer is Yes.

There is nothing in the Bible that says we should not and so I think its fine. But I know that everyone has differing opinions on the issue.

I have always loved the verse:

"Do Not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind so that you may be able to test and approve what the will of God is. His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

I would take this verse to mean that as Christians we are allowed to listen to secular music as long as it doesn't make us change our whole mindset on life.

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I have made it an idol at one point too which wasn't good. But music is a powerful thing and I think that if you listen to Secular music and don't let it affect your life and you just listen to it for fun, then its fine.

I am currently rocking out to Taylor swift and have no shame about it. That girl can sing.

Anyway, I don't listen to any songs with curse words because those can get in my head very quick. But I think that an occasional T-swift song is fine. Also, it doesn't make me any less of a Christian if I listen to some Taylor swift. I know that i am not going to start dressing like her or something and so if I just listen to her music, its fine. But I think the problem comes when we start to let the music get our heads and really affect how we live our lives.

I still love the Lord, I just like to rock out to Taylor Swift once in a while.

What are your thoughts? Please be respectful and respect my opinion and I will respect yours. I am open to a discussion as long it does not get mean or hurt other people's feelings. 

Do you listen to Secular and/or Christian music?




5 comments:

  1. I personally listen to mostly Christian praise and worship {think: what you might hear at a contemporary service; i.e. Chris Tomlin, Elevation Worship, etc.}, BUT that's mainly because I'm married to a worship leader. As far as secular music goes, I don't think it's necessarily wrong or sinful to do so. As you've said here, it's all about how it affects you. Just like anything else, if something is pulling you down/distracting you from your walk with Christ, then it should go. But if you can listen to secular music and it doesn't distract you from your walk, then it's okay. This is just an example of something that each of of us must pray and decide for ourselves whether it's right for us or not.

    P.S. I'm your neighbor at Life Lately with Wild & Precious. {http://www.alanataylor.me}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up listening to country music, and started listening to Christian music a few years ago. I agree with you, that it's fine if people listen to secular music, as long as it doesn't go to their head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with you! and i love taylor swift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)