Sunday, January 20, 2013

Disability: Part of me



January 20th, 2013. Today is international disability day. I don't really understand why the day was created but I am thankful for it because for me, it was a day or in my case, a moment, to step back and realized how blessed I am to have a disability. Yes. Blessed. I am blessed with how my life began. so small. so fragile. Little did I know the plans that God designed that would unfold for my life from that day forward.

I am just like any other young adult. I am in the process of earning a college degree in the area of communications. I love social media and connecting with friends on Facebook  twitter and especially my blog. when I watch the news or tv, I smile at stories of triumph in life and tear up at stories that pull at my heart strings. I laugh with my friends as we watch a movie or just talk about life. I fret over what I should wear in the morning. I love shopping and trying on clothes. I love deep conversations with friends. I love chocolate. I have a beautiful family and precious dog. I love babies and young children.

But on the flip side of things, I have a little extra challenge, I know what it is like to be left out and feel like you don't matter. Because of how I walk, dress or act around others. I know what its like to feel alone and feel different. I know what its like to have to struggle with math or for things that take longer for me to do then others. I know what its like to have trouble doing my hair or getting frustrated because the little bit of make up that I sometimes wear doesn't look right because of my fine motor skills.

But often, I forget all of the above challenges and try and focus on the good. Because in the struggle there is beauty. I love when people look past my disability and just see me for who I am:

A beautiful woman who just wants to encourage others and lift others up. I understand what its like to have days when I don't want to get out of bed because I am tired from the day before and I have to cling to Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you. plans to give you a hope and a future."

My disability doesn't define me. My disability is not my name or how I like to be remembered. My disability is a unique part of me that I am proud of, blessed to have. It makes me unique and beautiful. My disability doesn't stop me from accomplishing my dream and goals.. It just makes the journey all the more beautiful.







14 comments:

  1. Jess~ You are one of the most amazing little ladies I know. I have never met someone so tenacious and secure in who they are. I struggle with my own set of limitations, but your words encourage me.

    I pray you never lose sight of who God created you to be. You are a blessing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying all those sweet things friend! I do have days when I struggle but I have learned that the struggle is just part of life and in the end it is just another part of your testimony. Thanks for praying for me too! <3

      Delete
  2. All things are possible....with a great and wonderful, all-powerful God. So glad to have found your blog. You are an encouragement! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your great encouragement! thanks for following along too!

      Delete
  3. Well said. Your honesty is amazing. God has wonderful plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jessica! Very eloquently said. I am proud to be your mom! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! I am honored to have you read my blog!

      Delete
  5. I love this, Jessica! Everything you said is absolutely perfect. You're amazing and an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This absolutely echoes our "one word" COURAGE! What a wonderful post! You are truly an exceptional young lady. So proud of your pure heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you told me about this post! You are amazing & beautiful. I am so encouraged by your heart to serve God and glorify Him no matter what the circumstance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)