Tuesday, October 23, 2012

True Beauty






We spend so much time preparing our outside beauty but how much time do we spend preparing our inner beauty and our heart? 

This world tells us that we must look our best and conform to the pattern of the world. We have to do what every one is doing so that we don't get made fun of. We have to show a lot of cleavage for the guys to like us. We must wear very tight clothing in order for the guy to want to date us. we have to be skinny to be attractive. We strive for perfection and yet we are always going to fall short.

There is nothing wrong with preparing our outer appearance but how often do we prepare our heart? How often do we re-evaluate the state of our heart and what we are thinking and feeling? Make up and dressing up are not wrong things. The way that those things become wrong is when we place them over other things.

Beauty is fleeting and will not always be here. There is a point where society says that we are not beautiful anymore. There is a point where we become old and wrinkly and our skin has blotches on it. In the world's eyes, old woman are not deemed beautiful. But in my eyes and in the eyes of God, woman should never be judged for their outside appearance but instead for what is in their heart. I know so many people who are not beautiful by the world's standards but their character and personality outshine their outer beauty. I just smile when I am around them.

But then there are those who have both, an outer beauty and an inner beauty. They are beautiful on the outside and have great clothes and wear make up and care themselves with a certain manner. But then they also have a kind and caring heart, a great sense of humor and a wiliness to listen and be a forever friend. Those are the women in my life that I look up to and cherish so deeply.

The Lord just taught me this past summer that I was beautiful. I struggled a lot with body image and how I looked to other people. I cared too much about what other people thought about me and sometimes still struggle with that. I know that I am not alone in my struggle which is comforting but there are days where that thought did not make it any easier. The Lord really used this summer to speak to me and got me to finally understand that I am his daughter that he created in his perfect and beautiful image. He has a plan for my life and he loves me with his inner most being. He knit me together in my mother's womb and he loves me more than I can even fathom. I am so glad that I finally started to believe these truths and stopped feeding into the lies that Satan was feeding me. I have more confidence and I have so much joy in my life. It was such a simple lesson and yet it was so hard to hold onto and believe.

The Lord has many things to say about beauty and three of those verses have become very real for me and I hope that they encourage you too.


"But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)


"The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing."  (Zephaniah 3:17)

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:20)






Be Blessed.

You are BEAUTIFUL in the eyes of God no matter what the World says. 





5 comments:

  1. Jessica I'm saving this one! I struggled sooo much with physical appearance in school. I had braces, freckles, hand me down clothes, and the shape of a boy. I didn't know God then, and I wish I had. He'd have given me truth in that darkness!! You're beautiful in more ways than you know; you light up the world with your faith and kindness. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise :) Thank you for this post.. I needed it :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooo sorry that you were made fun of in high school. you really are beautiful and God loves you just the way you are. with this society how it is today, what girl does not struggle with self esteem and issues of liking her body. thank you for your sweet words. I just love encouraging others not for my own glory but the Glory of God and to please him. I hope you have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. I think the more we understand what God's Truth is versus the world's lies we can handle this culture & its agenda. We also can cut off some of its messages by refusing to look at beauty magazines, videos, movies etc. That has REALLY helped me. We can ask the Lord where we are being influenced. I promise He will show us. : )
    This culture will always teach that worth = beauty, health, wealth but that is a lie. JESUS CHRIST is our ONLY worth. Let us learn His Truth as it sets us free from the idolatry of worshipping approval of man.
    Truth sets us FREE
    Be free of fear.
    But dont chase it with any kind of "SELF"confidence for that is a lie as well. Deny self and live FOR Jesus.

    Keep your eyes on Christ.
    He is our salvation.
    Love,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow thank you for this great encouragement Virginia!! you are such a great encouragement and blessing to me and for that I am thankful. your words really challenge me. and yes I hate reading fashion magazines and stuff.

      Delete
  3. that's cool to hear that you guys have god

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)