Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Christian Bubble



I attend a Christian University. I love the Christian atmosphere, Christian friends and biblical-based teaching. But sometimes I feel as though I get so caught up in my own little world. I forget what the outside world looks like. I don’t get off campus very much but when I do it is like I am smacked back to reality. I have to deal with rude people, cursing and rude drivers on the road. 

I like to be in my own little bubble here at school where things are safe and I feel secure. I do not like to step outside of my comfort zone and experience things that are new and different. When I came to Trinity about a year ago. I was so scared. I was scared about who I would meet and how my roommates would treat me. I was unsure of just about everything. But as the months passed, I became more comfortable in my environment. I probably became too comfortable. It is a sad fact but I have realized that I do not know how to share my faith anymore and I honestly do not try very hard because I just assume that everyone here is a christian. This statement is of course not the truth and there are many students who are not Christians. 

God has really been prompting me to share my faith with others and to really try and step out of my bubble. I first had to agree to this idea and be willing to step outside my bubble. I have agreed to do so but I have still been timid about such things. I am now praying for an opportunity for God to use me to witness to someone. I pray that God will give me the boldness and confidence when the time is right. 

Christian bubbles can be so comfortable but they can be very dangerous. They can impede growth in faith and just in personal character. God has me here for a reason and for that I am very thankful. But God also wants me to grow where I am at. He placed me here so that I could grow in my faith, not so that I could become stale and feel comfortable. God wants us to always be willing to stretch our faith. If we are willing to pop the bubble, God can really use you in amazing ways. Yes this idea can be scary and it takes enormous amounts of faith. But the end result is that you have listened to God and that he has used to bless someone else’s life. 

One of the ways that God has began to use me and forced me to step outside of my bubble is through prayer. I would always pray by myself and in my room and I would pray in a group at a Bible study. But I was never comfortable praying out loud for people. But I took that step of faith and told God that this action was something that I was ready to do. He has blessed me with the courage to ask people on the spot if I can pray for someone. Just yesterday, I prayed for a friend and she was so blessed by my simple prayer. Praying for others has brought me so much joy and I pray that God allows me to continue to pray for others and opens doors for other ways that he is going to use my life to glorify him. If you trust God with your whole life, he will bless you and he will use you in ways that you never would have imagined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)