Last night, I had the awesome privilege of getting to worship and hang out with Jenny Simmons. Jenny was formerly of the band Addison Road but in 2011, they disbanded and Jenny found herself unemployed. She went through a really tough season and in that season, she did something that she was comfortable doing: she wrote music. Out of that, came her newest album The Becoming. The album is filled with stories about Jenny's life and the struggles that she went through during that time.
It was a really awesome concert, one because it was free and two because I was in the front row so I barely had to use the zoom on my phone's camera. There was a meet and greet before the show and we got to talk to Jenny and hang out with her. She was so sweet and kind to everyone there. She was also super down to earth. She told us some really awesome stories and just laughed with us. After the meet and greet, I gave Jenny a letter and I also told her that I had something for her four-year-old daughter Annie. Annie loved the little gifts that I had given her and she really loved the little purse that all of the gifts came in. Jenny and I talked a bit more and then headed upstairs so that Jenny could get ready for the show.
The show was fantastic. Jenny opened up and shared many stories with us. She shared how Addison Road had been at the top of their career in 2009 and how they had been on the charts and everything was going well. About the middle of 2009, things started to fall apart. They got their equipment stolen 3 times in a year and then put icing on the cupcake, their RV burned down and they lost EVERYTHING they owned. They had literally packed all of their belongings in this RV. Their coffee makers, everything for her then 11 month old daughter, everything they owned because they were going to be living in for the next four months. Jenny said that she found out about the RV burning down twenty minutes before she was supposed to go on stage and that she laid down on the floor and just wept and she told God that she couldn't do it anymore and that she was done. She called her pastor and her pastor kept saying "Jenny this is the best night of your life." Jenny of course thought she was crazy but when she finally stopped crying enough to ask why, her pastor said "Jenny you are going to see Jesus move like you have never seen him move before"
Those words came true and Jenny said that in the last two years she has experienced God more beautifully than every before. She told so many stories that would take me a long time to type out but there is one that I will share. After the show that night, Jenny was meeting fans and this man came up to her and said I have never done this before but God clearly spoke to me and told me you should have this. The man said You see my son died a year ago and when we got to see the scene of the accident, your cd was jammed in his cd player and your words were playing over and over as he took his last breaths. What you do matters."
Someone had heard about Addison Road's fire on the radio and they called the radio station and said they wanted to give AR an RV to finish up the tour that they were currently on. So they flew their bus driver down to get the RV and the bus driver called Jenny and said, "Jenny we cannot take this RV. Jenny said "why is it Ghetto? whats wrong with it." The bus driver said "nothing is wrong with it Jenny. its never been opened and its a million dollar RV." AR did not want to take the RV but they finally ended up taking the RV after the couple insisted that they take it because they weren't using it.
You will have to go to a show to hear more of Jenny's stories because she tells them way better then I do by simply writing them out but know that Jenny is a living and breathing testimony of what it means to walk by faith. She has shared on her blog before (which I highly recommend you read HERE) about how her family has had a hard time making it by and how they sometimes have not been in the best shape with money. But she keeps on doing shows and giving of herself because that is what God has called her to do and yes there are days that she is tired and exhausted, but she keeps on pressing on with the help of the Lord. and she would not be where she is today with another CD out and still playing shows if it weren't for the Lord and his faithfulness. If you ever have a chance to go see Jenny in concert. Go. You will be blessed. Jenny is the most beautiful and caring individual that I have ever met. She gives so much of herself to others its beautiful to watch. I cannot wait to see what else God does in Jenny's life and the stories she continues to make with her music.
Thank you Jenny for everything last night! You are a true blessing in my life.
linking up with Blair at Wild and Precious
![]() |
| Jenny Simmons |
![]() |


I am sooo thankful that you came out last night Jessica!! It was wonderful meeting you and I hope to see you again really soon!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment! it was great meeting you last night too! Your beautiful!! :)
Delete