Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Purity of the mind, body and heart


I have worn a purity ring since I was 13 years old. At first the ring symbolized both my desire to stay pure till marriage and also my desire to not date. But now the ring is just to remind me to stay pure till marriage. I have never had a boyfriend and I have never had sex. In this day and age, by my age, that is weird and unusual but I am okay with that. I think that we often think of purity just of the body but as Christians, we also need to keep our hearts and our mind pure.

How does one keep their heart pure? Good question. well if you are married its being faithful to your spouse and loving on your spouse and them only. If you are not married then its guarding your heart and not letting every person of the opposite sex have it. I feel like that has been something that has been hard for me. I attend a christian university and I went into my first year thinking that I would find a nice boy and that we would get married right out of college. Thankfully that did not happen and I am still single. Last year during my second year I realized that I had to let go of all my wants and desires and that I should focus more on getting my relationship right with the Lord than what boys were looking at me.

Keeping one's mind pure is also important. with all of the garbage that is out there on tv we must be careful what we watch and what we listen to. I used to make it a rule that I would not see rated R movies or watch really questionable tv shows. I have watched a few rated R movies now that I am older but I still don't allow myself to watch violent movies just because I don't like blood. This also has to do with the type of music that we listen to. I have made it a rule for myself that I generally only listen to positive and encouraging music on the radio like K-love and I only have Christian music on my ipod with the exception of like T-Swift. I don't like to fill my head with curse words and bad images so I have chosen to watch what I listen to.

Purity is not just about the body and staying pure till marriage but it is about all three.

Proverbs 4:23-27 23Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. 24 Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. 25 Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. 26 Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. 27 Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)