Sunday, July 21, 2013
Layers of an onion
no I am not going to turn into a food blogger. in fact, I hate cooking but I do love eating. go figure. Anyway I figure this post is going to be kind of like an onion light at the beginning and deep at the end.
First layer: some random thoughts: I follow A LOT of blogs. wow. Traveling in the car for 6 hours in one day is not the best thing but if it involves seeing loved ones, I will take it. Thankful for internet on my phone that I can use to distract myself on said 6 hour car ride. I am super thankful for twitter and for all of the awesome people I have "met" there.
Enter deep thought: I am so thankful for all of the lovely women that I have met on twitter. The Influence Network is a network for women who are bloggers and tonight they had a twitter party because they are re-launching their website tomorrow. I decided to hop on the twitter party and I walked away feeling super blessed and encouraged. It was awesome to see all of these women who were on fire for God but who also wanted to connect with others and this lead me to another layer of thoughts on friendships.
Friendship. Something that for me has always been hard. All through my elementary, middle and high school years it was really hard for me to make friends. I don't know if it was because I did not have all of the designer clothes or if people just pegged me as different because I was a christian or because I had a disability.
But a combination of these things made for a VERY hard time in school for me with friends especially when I was in high school. I walked into high school knowing like no one and walked out with like four friends. It wasn't the best years of my life and I try and erase the times that I had lunch in the bathroom because I had no one to eat with.
All of that to say, that I was GLAD when high school was over and I could move on and find some friends in college. College has been such a great change for me and I am so happy with the ladies and guys that I have become friends with. I have loved finding girls that I can hang out with on campus or go to a movie with or on a starbucks date with.
But there is still something about twitter and internet friends that I am drawn to.
Maybe its the fact that internet friends don't see all of the messy day to day life stuff or that they aren't able to see my messy hair and smell my morning breath because of the computer screen. Maybe its because I can say things to internet friends that I might not say to my real friends because I feel like my internet friends sometimes understand me better than my real friends do. Maybe because I love this space.
My space where I can write down my thoughts and even if no one reads my ramblings I still have a place to document my life. So these are all great reasons but I think that I love my internet and twitter friends the most because they accept me for who I am. I am not saying that my in real life friends (IRL) friends don't do this. They totally do.
But I think there is just something different when it comes to an online relationship than with a IRL relationship. Even though, I love my internet friends, I feel like there needs to be a balance of IRL friends and online ones. I am still working on finding that balance.
Thank you to all of you who have read this blog and to those of you who have become my internet friends, Thank you and thank you for commenting and allowing me to share part of my story and journey with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I look forward to getting to know you better. Following you on Instagram will help!
ReplyDeleteI felt awkward a lot in high school as well and came out of my shell so much more in college. I think in life all you really need is ONE amazing friend. I've learned that true friendships are the ones that count, not the # of Facebook friends and all that nonsense. Since reaching my 30's life has smoothed out and made more sense, I guess I see the bigger picture more? Hang in there, internet friends are REAL friends and as long as you are happy that is all that counts!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. I'm glad I'm not alone!!
Delete