Does it bother me that I have a disability?
The above question was posed to me earlier today when I received an email from my e-buddy. I have been emailing back and forth with a young woman who also has a disability. She and I have been emailing back and forth for almost 2 years. It has been fun and its a joy to hear from her and correspond with her. Her question today struck me. "Does it bother you that you have a disability?" I had to stop and think.
Did it really bother me? Yes there are some days it plain sucks because I cannot do simple things like run down the block but that also may be in part to the fact that I am not in shape, but whatever. anyway, yes some days it bothers me and I wish that I was different. I have also been told that I dont look disabled or that I don't have a disability. I guess I should take this as a compliment that people see me as "normal." I put that in quotes because I don't believe that anyone is normal. Anyway, so yes sometimes it sucks but then there are other days that I think about how blessed I am. I am blessed to have met the people that I have met. I am blessed to have the friendships with people that I have. I have had so many experiences that I would not have had if I did not have a disability.
For example, I would have never been able to go to family retreat which is a 5 day camp in the summer for families with disabilities that is a week of relaxation and refreshment. The camp is put on by Joni and Friends which is a Christian organization that brings hope and the gospel to those with and without disabilities but it primarily targets those with disabilities. I always have loved this camp and the time with my family. I haven't gone in a few years but I always love hearing about other people's experiences when they come back.
And so yes to answer my friend's question, it does bother me sometimes. But thats very rare. I count my disability as a gift and a blessing and its something that doesn't define but is just part of me.
This is a poem that I wrote back in September but it expresses my heart so well on this issue that I want to share it again. From September 25, 2012:
I want to speak up
for those who can't talk
can't walk
can't see
can't interact
there were so many can'ts in that sentence
why not focus on what a person CAN do?
I am sick of this society
pushing us aside
like we don't matter
we do matter
we do have a voice
we were created in the image of God
we are loved and cherished
we have a life
God has a plan for our lives
we were placed on this earth for a reason
I have a disability
it is part of my life
and something I will fight for
until there is change
till we are recognized
not just in this country
but around the world
We just want to be loved
have friends
and treated like a normal person
Please look beyond our inabilities
and look at our abilities
look at our hearts
look at what we have
not what we don't have
Just because I have a DISability
doesn't mean that I don't have other amazing abilities
that God has blessed me with
I have a voice
and I will use it for the voiceless

You are just straight up incredible Jess. I admire you!
ReplyDeleteHi Jessica! You are doing so much for people through your blog, I can't imagine what an impact it would be to meet you and see how you inspire in your life.
ReplyDeleteGod has blessed you, don't ever forget that. Maybe you have a 'disability', but your attitude and ability to express it are really wonderful. You go, girl!!
Peace in Christ,
Ceil
Just stumbled upon your blog through the Wild and Precious link up and I found this post so interesting. My son is only a year old and has spina bifida. I've always wondered what it will be like for him as he gets old-- how he will view himself, etc. and this post was very helpful. Thanks!
ReplyDelete