Thursday, April 4, 2013

Five Minute Friday--After

After

After
the day is done
we will sit with our
heads against the pillow
and talk about the day
together and then drift off
into a beautiful slumber

After
the race is done
we will wipe off our sweat
and congratulate those around us
and ice down
so our muscles can rest and relax

After I get a college degree
After I get married
After I have kids

So many times
we think that we need
to have one thing completed
and move on to the next

I wish we as a people
could better learn to live
in the moment
soak up those tiny moments
ideas and pictures
that we are never
going to get back

Don't focus on the After
but focus on the here and now
the present
for the tomorrow
has its own worries
The now and the present
make the difference

Hold onto the present
the memories
before they fade into nothingness
After is the future
The future is not now

***
Today I am linking up with Lisa Jo Baker and her weekly Five Minute Friday posts

Happy Friday!





8 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    this is so true!! I'm a total goal-setter and I can get so caught up in what needs to be done that everything else fades away and I miss out on the preciousness of the here and now. Well said!

    Stopping by from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We need to hold onto the present. What a great take on this word, after. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure. We had always been waiting on an ambiguous "after". We'll adopt "after"________. Then we realized there was nothing in the blank, but our hesitation. So here we are...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this so much. To live in the present and hold tight to each moment. Such a great word for all. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was a good read. thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love reading your poems. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)