Monday, February 18, 2013

3 Lessons


I had to write a commencement speech for my speech class and I gave the speech today. I thought I would share the speech because I thought it had some really good lessons that we all could be reminded  of every so often.


Thank you for that great introduction Dr. Williford. What fun it is to be back here at Trinity to give the address this afternoon.  Thank you to my professors who were instrumental in my time and growth during my years here at Trinity. But a special thanks  to my parents because without you I would not be where I am today. Mom and Dad, your Godly guidance has molded me into the Godly woman that he had planned for me.  I would like to take a second to praise and congratulations to you, class of 2019. All of your had work has finally paid off and you sit here today with your diploma in hand and expectations of a world full of ideas for you to explore.

When I was invited to speak to you today as a former alumna of Trinity’s campus I struggled with what I should bring before you. What lessons I wanted to leave with you as you go out into the world to face what the Lord has planned for you. I want to leave you with three simple lessons that I learned while I was here at Trinity many years ago. These are lessons that you have probably heard before but sometimes it is nice to be reminded of the things that we think we know so well. 
The first lesson I want to impart to you is to be yourself. I have gone through a lot of my life with an attitude of having it all together so that people would like me. But I soon realized that this way of life would not work for me. I needed to be myself when I was eating lunch in the dinning hall. I needed to be myself when I was in my Christian ministry class or my communication class. I needed to be myself when I was worshiping in chapel or even when I was doing my homework that had been assigned. I needed to be true to myself and stay true to myself  because that was the only way that people were going to accept me. People don’t want to be friends with people who are fake. They want people who are real and relatable and authentic. In the words of an American writer, Rita Mae Brown, “About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.” But the great writer, Oscar Wilde said it better, “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”


The second lesson that I want to leave with you is that you should never give up no matter what the circumstances are and what life throws at you. A bright morning at the chesapeake bay beckoned the young 17-year-old Joni Eareckson Tada to take the dive off that bay that would change her life. The dive snapped her neck and left her as a quadriplegic and in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Joni has told the story about how she wanted to end her life, she wished that she had the dexterity to open a bottle of pills and end it all. She was left without hope and saw no light at the end of the tunnel. But because she did not give up, the Lord had a plan for her life and he used Joni in really amazing ways. She started Joni and Friends which helps people with disabilities and brings them hope and encouragement. Joni inspires many through out the world. She has written over 40 books, talks on the radio and she even has her own television program. Joni’s first book entitled Joni has been translated into over 45 different languages. Furthermore, Joni is able to paint with her mouth and she also signs her books with a pen in her mouth. She also used to drive using hand operated controls but she stopped driving about ten years ago.  If Joni had given up, She would have not been able to impact and inspire millions of people with her story and her ministry that is in over 20 countries around the world. 
The third and final lesson I want to leave you with is that God has a plan for your life no matter what you think. On a Saturday in March as the wind blew and the sun was just beginning to push over the horizon, I fought for my first breath of air. weighing in at one pound 7 ounces, I was born too soon and too small. I had multiple surgeries in the first five and half months that I was here on Earth. I also had a brush with death at a week old because of a mistake in my medication. But the Lord is faithful and he had and still has an amazing plan for my life. As I grew up and was diagnosed with Cerebral palsy, I faced many more hurdles in my life and I stand here today as a living and breathing testimony that the Lord can do a work in your life if you let him. It hasn’t always been easy but I have always clung to my life verse, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)


So as you go from this place, this college that has prepared you well for the life ahead of you remember these three simple lessons that I have shared. Strive to be real in your relationships, in your life, but most importantly in your relationship with God. Secondly, never give up and press on toward the goal. Our ultimate goal is heaven but through out life there are little goals that we set for ourselves. But often times we fall short because we are humans and humans are not perfect. But when we fall short, dust off and continue to press on because the reward, in the end will be great. Lastly take heart in knowing that the Lord has a plan for your life. He wants what best for you and even if you don’t see the full picture now, God has it under control and he will reveal things to you in his timing. 
I challenge you to really seek what the Lord has for you and listen to him. Use the talents that the Lord has given you to glorify him and also help others. And you are never too small or too weak to be used by God. If you are willing he will use you. Congratulations again on this wonderful accomplishment and as this chapter in your life closes, I pray that God will begin to write the next chapter of your beautiful life. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and try to reply to every comment. Have a blessed day!! :)